Support SB 3280, House Amendment 3
The House is expected to vote soon! Please, contact your elected officials NOW and urge them to support SB 3280 House Amendment 3. Click here for a link to find your IL state representative.
High volume hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is on our doorstep and operations in Illinois are scheduled to begin as soon as this summer. Illinois does not currently have adequate safeguards in place to protect our air and water resources.
In order to protect our state’s air and water resources the Illinois General Assembly needs to act on Senate Bill 3280, House Amendment 3.
The bill puts a hold on fracking in the state of Illinois until June 1, 2014. During that time a thorough investigation is to be completed to determine what safeguards are needed to protect Illinois’ environment from the air and water pollution experienced in other states that have active fracking wells.
SB 3280 HA 3 will create a taskforce to make recommendations concerning the following:
- The protection of the state’s water resources
- Disclosure of information regarding chemicals used in the fracking process
- The practices of leasing or buying land for oil and gas rights
- Public hearings and comments regarding proposed fracking operations
- The handling, storage, and disposal of waste byproducts produced from fracking
- The control of air emissions from oil and gas wells
- Permitting requirements for fracking operations
The House is expected to vote on this today/tonight. Contact your elected officials NOW and urge them to support SB 3280. Here is a link to find your IL state representative.